New Update to Pacemaker App.

Can't work out where to post about the Pacemaker Application?
Post here in the general section then!
bbpmdj

Re: New Update to Pacemaker App.

Post by bbpmdj » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm

SIGMA__7 wrote:HDMI I can appreciate, but also live without to be honest. unless I was connecting to a receiver (most likely a home theatre receiver only if it is HDMI) or have a special cable that goes HDMI to RCA, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of this feature - although I understand other people's excitement who will use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The problem is 2 fold, 1st off using the Griffin special Y cable will only deliver mono and it is a headphone output which is not a line level output, so there is a difference in output. From what I understand and I could be wrong, HDMI is a digital line level and all you would need is a digital to analog converter and you could plug into any RCA jack input and would give true stereo output from your BlackBerry PlayBook. Just Sayin!

SIGMA__7

Re: New Update to Pacemaker App.

Post by SIGMA__7 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:33 pm

the output on the Griffin DJ cable still gives you two output channels (left and right) for your soundsystem - even if the source is mono. this is not the same as true stereo, but for a lot of music, it is not something on a dancefloor or even a house party that people will notice. for some music genres that have a lot of sweeping or panning effects between the left and right channels, not having true stereo means the effects aren't heard through the system as intended. this would be especially evident listening just in headphones, or listening on 2.0 or 2.1 soundsystem.

also, many if not most club sound systems are setup as mono (which is traditionally output via the left channel). so if you are using this kind of setup, you're not losing anything using the pacemaker and Griffin cable. if you find the line level for both the master and the headphone output using the Griffin cable is too weak, you can get tiny in line device to perform as a pre-amp for these signals for next to nothing at a local electronics shop. I haven't found an issue with the master at all - but if you have a huge monitor right over your head, you will definitely need a pre-amp on the headphone using the pacemaker app on the playbook.

I don't know all the technical specs on HDMI, but I do know that it can carry 2.0, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 and I believe even 7.1 signals. in this scenario you would need an adapter cable - this would be a micro HDMI to custom HDMI or micro HDMI for 4xRCAs depending on the amp/system input capability - these do not exist, they would have to be marketed by Pacemaker team or some affiliated supplier. the other thing you would need is for the app itself to be able to output via HDMI a 4.1 signal which is the minimum required to preserve stereo. this would be done using the 4 channels to output the L+R of channel one, and L+R of channel two - you can use whatever left over channels there are for a mono or stereo monitor or monitors or something else depending on if you use 4.1, 5.1, or 7.1

in the "old days" of PC DJ programs before there were such things as controller, having a soundcard that had a minimum 4.1 channel capability was how true stereo was preserved (or else you needed two x 2 channel soundcards).