Pacemaker Firmware Suggestions

Post questions and comments on versions of Pacemaker firmware here
Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: Pacemaker Firmware Suggestions

Post by Sox » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Bergq wrote:Stability is everything to a DJ. Please look beyond new features and work extra on stability and bugs. I'm not saying this is bad now, but this is my suggestion any way. Thank you great work!! Very much appreciate it!
Which versions are you using, and what stability issues are you having? I don't recall seeing a post raising these concerns.

The problem is that the developers are not really working on the Pacemaker firmware as there is no financial gain to them. They are a company with employees and investors after all.

The updates we do get are by way of source code compatibility with their current projects, and tend to be in the form of new features. Even when there is a new update, beta testing is limited compared to current projects. Any beta testing that is done is by volunteers such as DJ Pip, myself and a few other interested parties.

If you (or anyone else) are interested in beta testing new updates in the interest finding stability issues (as well as getting a preview of new features), then PM or email DJ Pip who is available to co-ordinate these things. As time goes on our user base is getting less, so I think we would always be interesting in keen users willing to keep the product going.

Just to me clear - Pip and I have no influence on what development work is done, or features would be added added. But the suggestions we can all make are available for review by the Pacemaker team via this site.
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

SiRroUnD

Re: Pacemaker Firmware Suggestions: gains tweak

Post by SiRroUnD » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:40 am

Just got my 666 and I love it!! Im a proper dj but Im using this as a portable mixing device for my bicycle sound system. Its working killer! As an old school house dj I love the long blends. The resolution of the crossfader is not conducive to long blends, the resolution isn't that great especially at the very end of the crossfader. Hows about making the gain control for the decks go all the way to infinity cut vs. the -26 it currently goes to. Id leave the crossfader in the middle and just mix with the gains if you could make this change. Id happily donate to keeping the site alive.

In hindsight and as a lefty. Boy do I wish that they would have put an additional p switch on the right side of the pmd for the lefties.

I can't get the sync to work that great but I'm not really an auto sync kind of dj anyways. Its more fun manually keeping it tight and the grid sure helps.

Im in love with the pmd. I use it as my primary mobile player, it plugs right into a cdj and you can mix anywhere! Im looking for a 120 gig version for around $100 if anybody has a line on one. Ive been trolling ebay but accidentally slept thru a few..

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: Pacemaker Firmware Suggestions: gains tweak

Post by Sox » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Welcome to the club - it's a great device!
SiRroUnD wrote:The resolution of the crossfader is not conducive to long blends, the resolution isn't that great especially at the very end of the crossfader.
Been using mine for about 4 or 5 years and never thought that myself, but each to their own.

As you are new to Pacemaker, you may be interested it the following couple of crossfader tips (though it won't help this resolution issue).
- If you press and hold a finger on the crossfader where it currently is, you can tap a finger on/off on the other side to temporarily cut over to the other deck and then instantly return to where you were. Try it, you'll see what I mean
- For finer accuracy in small adjustments to the crossfader, roll your finger on the crossfader rather than trying to swipe it slightly
SiRroUnD wrote:...... if you could make this change. Id happily donate to keeping the site alive.
Unfortunately we at this site don't have anything to do with the Pacemaker firmware development, so bribes won't help :)

SiRroUnD wrote:In hindsight and as a lefty. Boy do I wish that they would have put an additional p switch on the right side of the pmd for the lefties.
I'm a lefty too but have never found myself wishing for a p switch on the right hand side. I hold the device with my right hand and use the middle finger on the p switch, leaving my better left hand and fingers for all the other controls. Some people your two hands to hold it, and then their thumbs for all front facing controls, a bit like some people text on their phones. Seems wierd to me
SiRroUnD wrote: I can't get the sync to work that great but I'm not really an auto sync kind of dj anyways. Its more fun manually keeping it tight and the grid sure helps.
Have never used the sync (auto-beatmatch) but yes the beat grid is handy (though not always accurate). If the beat grid is visible, I can't help but look at it and use it for guidelines.There is an option to turn the beat grid off, but having got used to it, I never took this step.

SiRroUnD wrote: Im in love with the pmd. I use it as my primary mobile player, it plugs right into a cdj and you can mix anywhere! Im looking for a 120 gig version for around $100 if anybody has a line on one. Ive been trolling ebay but accidentally slept thru a few..
I have a spare 120Gb (cos I loved my original that much), but have currently loaned it to a friend. They occasionally pop up for sale on this site. Might be worth posting a specific "120Gb Pacemaker Wanted" thread somewhere on this site, rather than mentioning it in this firmware thread.
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

MazinkaiseMazinger

Re: Pacemaker Firmware Suggestions

Post by MazinkaiseMazinger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:09 am

Hi all, love this update. Best functional update to date. Thanks to the Pacemaker team for keeping this device alive!

In my feature request:
1) Master audio limiter. This can actually help with smoother mixes. The Djay app for IPad has this feature and it is nice. It would be great to have it in my Tonium Pacemaker 666.
2) Correct stability issues. My pacemaker has been crashing more often than on previous firmware updates.
3) Ability to adjust the grid to beat position for auto sync. Sometimes Pacemaker is just way off syncing.
4) Crossfader curve shapes such as scratch, constant power, smooth mix, etc.
5) Battery % left on main screen.

have not tested all the features in this update, but everything so far works great and is very responsive. The Pacemaker team just needs to work on improving stability.