Repairs in Los Angeles

Give your feedback about the website and forum,
or make your suggestions here
DieJMars

Repairs in Los Angeles

Post by DieJMars » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I fell in love with my Pacemaker when it first came out since I got sick of falling down NYC subway stairs with crates of records or being harassed crossing Canadian borders. To make a long story short, my Pacemaker completely died out of nowhere last month, causing me to lose about 7000 songs. I can see it still charge up but as soon as I go to turn it on, the screen goes black. I have tried EVERYTHING from re-booting it manually, etc. I know there isn't any support for the damn thing either. I can't even find the proper size screwdriver to open it up (to see if maybe I can replace the battery). Are there any tech-savy people in LA who might be able to fix this thing for me? I really wish I could have stored the music elsewhere. Help! This is one stop away from tossing it in the garbage. Thank God I still had CDs. After all this, I'm either going to be switching to my Traktor iPhone DJ or going back to my old-school vinyl.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: Repairs in Los Angeles

Post by Sox » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:26 pm

If your Pacemaker is the only place you had copies of your 7000 songs then I would look to buy a 2nd pacemaker and then swap the hard drives. Assuming you can't find someone local that is
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

poofygoof

Post by poofygoof » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:35 am

I've had this happen to mine when it totally ran out of battery charge. It came back to life after leaving it connected to USB (to completely charge up) overnight. if the battery is dead, it can't draw enough current to spin up the hard drive if it's plugged into USB.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 pm

FYI the device will not even turn on if it deems there is less than 10% charge in the battery. Whether USB can supply enough current might depend on your USB source. There have been a number of people with issues that all coincidentally all have the 60Gb model which does not come with a main power supply. The 120Gb did and no-one has reported similar problem.

I have a spare unit with no battery in it and can confirm issues with booting if I only plug in into my PC's usb. However if I plug in the main supply, it works fine.

If in doubt, I would get a mains supply for it. There's a thread here somewhere.....

Back to the original poster, due to recent interest I might even release a version of PMExplorer which would allow you to retrieve your music files from the device, as long as the device can be seen as a "USB mass storage" device (ie. a drive) when you plug it into a Windows computer. However a response to this thread might indicate whether this was worthwhile or not.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:34 pm

To the OP - if your device can be seen by a windows PC when you power it on (not just when you plug it in, but after you have powered it on too), then you should be able to retrieve all files from your device back onto your computer, and rename the files approrpaitely (as well as put them in suitable artist/album/genre specific folders) using PMExplorer

See the attachment in this thread