Device not recognized as a drive

Got a problem with your Pacemaker?
Don't worry, post here and we might be able to help out!
Seabee

Re: Device not recognized as a drive

Post by Seabee » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 am

Managed to get one step further. I believe my issue really was charging. The device finally showed a ''charging 0%'' message after boot when I plugged it in my laptop, which this time was plugged in the outlet and on sleep mode. For some reason the USB port didn't care about charging anything unless the computer wasn't doing anything at all.
So now my device has charged to 100%. My Win7 desktop computer now recognizes the USB device. Used updater to install firmware 14142. Got database error. Yay.

Will post progress when it happens.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Pmd def will refuse to work with less than 10% charge
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Have tried the same thing with both laptop and desktop and nothing changes. Did you get it to charge with the power off, or while it was continuously trying to power up? I get the logo and the spinning colors, along with the buttons flashing... If I hold the power button, those stop. Wondering if it makes a difference.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 pm

As I said before my battery-less device does what yours does, and from this I assume the it remains in continual cycle when there is not enough charge to power the device on it's own. Holding down the power button for 8 secs or more should turn it off, but I don't seem to be able to get it to do this on mine.

Given you are able to turn yours off, I wonder whether it would still be charging. If the one of the buttons (play I think) periodically flashes, then it is (or should be) charging. If this is the case I would think it would achieve charge quicker if it was not losing charge already gained by trying to power the hdd and the screen during it boot cycle.

So if you can power off, yet it flashes a button, I say leave it in this state to get the best chance of a charge.

It could always be that the usb on your device is broken. In which case a main adapter will help charge it, but you may run into problems when it comes to transferring music onto it. One step at a time eh?

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 am

When I power it off and leave the USB connected, nothing happens.. I don't see anything flashing. I left it plugged in to my PC while at work with it off, and nothing changed. Also tried leaving it on with the lights going for more than an hour, and still nothing. Wondering if maybe the battery is no good? Should have the answer pretty soon, as that adapter should be here in the next day or two.

Seabee

Post by Seabee » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 am

To answer your question Cartney, my laptop was on but with the screen shut down (closed). I really don't know why exactly it started charging at that point. When your device starts charging, it will be obvious it is doing so. A charging message appears briefly and then the screen blanks out and the play button flickers on and off every second or so. When that happened I ran away and didn't touch it for 3-4 hours to be safe. Then I picked it up and pushed POWER and the screen said Charge 100%!
Now as for what happened about my database error message, I shut everything off cause I had to go to sleep. When I connected my device again the next day on my desktop PC a message popped-up telling me there was a firmware update available even though I had run the Updater before, I reluctantly clicked yes, something was downloaded and everything worked after that. Also my Pacemaker now charges on the previous USB ports where it wouldn't at first. Go figure.
I hope getting a proper power supply cord will solve your charging problem. I'm starting to look for one.
Now the only thing that bothers me about the Pacemaker is my noobness with it. But I'm working on that!

I truly appreciate this forum and its help and will keep reading around. You admins are awesome!

Cheers from Montréal! :D

CMcCartney1960

Post by CMcCartney1960 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Been 10 days since I ordered the power supply, and don't have it. Checked with the people I ordered it from online (they are located here in the US, not too far from me), and the part is coming from CHINA. Checked the UPS tracking number, and 10 days later it is STILL in China. Ugh....

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Do you have the equivelent of Maplins/Tandy? Should be able to walk in and get one there for around $10