line out broken

Got a problem with your Pacemaker?
Don't worry, post here and we might be able to help out!
louisherron

line out broken

Post by louisherron » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 am

hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, the line out jack for my pacemaker has broken or come loose, i still get audio out of it but when ever i put a jack in to the line out it wobbles inside of the device and stops producing audio until i move it back and hold it and when i hold it it just doesn't sound right, i want to try and fix it myself but i would rather know what im doing before i do it, thanks.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Re: line out broken

Post by Sox » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi,
Nobody to my knowledge has done this yet. I would guess it's
- Open up the Pacemaker
- Remove PCB from casing
- Determine exact PCB mounted socket you need to purchase as a replacement and order one
- Unsolder old one, solder in new one.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but never having opened up my Pacemaker I have no more info.
Here are some instructions on taking apart the Pacemaker
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152&start=10

And here are a few pics of inside the Pacemaker, but they don't seem to show the audio sockets.
http://cubicgarden.com/2013/05/05/upgra ... ard-drive/
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

Eco_Morgan

Post by Eco_Morgan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Sox wrote:Hi,
Nobody to my knowledge has done this yet. I would guess it's
- Open up the Pacemaker
- Remove PCB from casing
- Determine exact PCB mounted socket you need to purchase as a replacement and order one
- Unsolder old one, solder in new one.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but never having opened up my Pacemaker I have no more info.
Here are some instructions on taking apart the Pacemaker
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152&start=10

And here are a few pics of inside the Pacemaker, but they don't seem to show the audio sockets.
http://cubicgarden.com/2013/05/05/upgra ... ard-drive/
Hey Sox,

I am hoping to resurrect this thread. I understand COMPLETELY what he means by the bathroom echo effect, and mine is doing it too. The line out works perfectly if you pull the audio cable about 2mm out.

When the cable is in 100%, it's distorted.
When the cable is in 80%, works perfectly.

I have the most basic of experience with soldering, but have always wanted to do something useful with it. Are we to open the PMD up to figure out what female jack the Line Out is, or do you know off-hand?

Is there any product data for the PMD to make this search easier?

I just recently picked up my PMD again, and now this happens. I am planning on swapping HDD to SSD within the next few weeks anyways, so this might be an addendum to my PMD project.

Thanks,

`Morgan

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Morgan,
Have you tried with some alternate headphones in case they make a better connection all the way in?

I've still not had cause to open mine up so have no experience of doing so, and unfortunately there are no pcb diagrams publicly available. Here is a recent post from one of our members that can show you what to expect when you open it up. I can''t see any jack connector in any of these and think we are only seeing one half of the casings.

I'd open it up, follow the jack and see if it is soldered to a pcb (try reseating this just my re-melting the solder), attached to a wire (resolder each end of conneciton), or a ribbon cable (try removing and reinserting ribbon, ensure locking mechanism is locked). If this doesn't work then you might look at replacing the actual jack connector, or the ribbon cable (prob not easy to source tbh).

Fancy taking photos of what you find and how you attacked it?

Eco_Morgan

Post by Eco_Morgan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:01 am

Sox,

I found out today that my Phone jack is doing it as well. Perhaps dust had managed to creep its way into my PMD? I don't have the Torx yet (will probably order this week with new headphones and other necessities), so I cannot test this. Compressed air might do the trick? I'm not sure if much dust has entered the entire unit; it didn't seem like others who have modded their PMD (SSD/CF/Batter) have mentioned anything about dust build up.

Do you recall anything? Any hints/tips on the matter?

Thank you,

`Morgan

P.S. I will also be doing the ZIF>Compact Flash mod instead of the SSD). It probably won't be for a weeks, but I will be sure to document everything for a thorough walkthrough.

EDIT: The cause of the issue was my headphones had a microphone. Thus the male jack had a 3rd ring that the jacks were not communicating correctly to. Same issue with the Headphone jack, so you cannot use headphones with microphones.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 am

Goog I'm glad you sorted it

soulpixel

Post by soulpixel » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Headphones with a microphone have a third ring, you need to make sure that that ring doesn't make any contact.
You can find some headphone cable extensions (female/male) with only two rings, this will keep the third ring out of the equation.
Other option not recommended is to use some isolation tape to cover the third ring, but it is bound to get you some tape in the input into the pacemaker if you plug/unplug your headphone jack often. Could help for one night though.