" Sorry friend....Hard drive needs checking" - Help!!

Got a problem with your Pacemaker?
Don't worry, post here and we might be able to help out!
mo-fo1980

" Sorry friend....Hard drive needs checking" - Help!!

Post by mo-fo1980 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi,

Please somebody help! I'm dj-ing in a couple of days with my pacemaker and i keep receiving the dreaded 'sorry friend....hard drive needs checking' message. I then select 'restore' before the unit switches itself off and then on again and repeats the same message! I've attempted to restore it on several occasions and have also tried this going through the debug option upon start up, all to no avail.

The pacemaker editor software doens't pick up the device either!!

This is the SECOND pacemaker i've had that this has happened to!

Can this problem be fixed?? Or do Tonium expect me to buy another new model again? If so, I'll be taking my money elsewhere.

If anyone can shed any light, it would be most appreciated!

Cheers

djpip27
Admin Pip
Admin Pip

Re: " Sorry friend....Hard drive needs checking" - Help!!

Post by djpip27 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Pacemaker.
Tonium don't exist - neither does official hardware support for the Pacemaker. Please read this page http://pacemakerdevice.org/?page_id=19 and find out about the hurdles we've come through to be able to offer you these official community page/forums today. No-one expects anyone to buy anything, we are all volunteers running this website and the official new Pacemaker Team are volunteering to provide firmware updates years after Tonium stopped existing.

It sounds like your hard drive may have failed - when you connect the Pacemaker to your computer, can you see it as a removable drive (like a memory-stick), if so and you can copy files on to your device then your hard-drive is fine. If not, you can replace your hard drive although we'll need to post the specifications on here for a new drive and you'd need to be prepared to grab a screwdriver - buy a hard drive and install it yourself currently.

fazz
Admin Fazz
Admin Fazz

Post by fazz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 am

I had this problem, and while booting i gave my pacemaker a little love tap or two on the side. I DO NOT ENDORSE DOING THIS UNLESS YOU ARE DESPERATE BECAUSE NOW MY HARD DRIVE IS COMPLETELY FRIED AND I HAVE TO REPLACE IT. I think SSD replacements will become very commonplace amongst the community, I will be writing up a HOW TO guide eventually.

oddbeat

Post by oddbeat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm meant to be DJing tonight and have this error...I am not a happy boy!

jackwalth

Post by jackwalth » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 pm

I've also had this same issue - "Sorry Friend......". I tried the restore that it suggested which kind of made it happy again but I then came across issues trying to update my music library on the device. I'd done a bit of a library tidy up so was doing a fresh copy over of all my music to the PMD, and after a couple of gigabytes worth of transfer the Pacemaker crashes out and ejects itself from the computer. It almost seems that it gets to a point and can't go any further. I subsequently tried putting a couple of tracks onto the device which worked fine and the device functioned as expected, but I obviously hadn't hit the "point of no return"! Clearly not an ideal situation so I tried formatting the hard drive via the "4 button" route, restored HDD and reinstalled the firmware (have tried two different versions), and the same issues arises - after copying a certain amount of data the device crashes out and ejects itself.

I'm completely happy to try replacing the HDD for an SDD as per the "how-to" guide, but is this likely to solve my problem? (£40 experiment) I only ask as I read somewhere on this forum that if the device HDD shows up as a drive on my computer then it should be functioning OK? Or is it possible that some of the hard drive is functioning correctly and therefore shows up?

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm

I would have thought that if the usb controller and hard disk controller work then it would show up even if the disk has dodgy areas on the pkatters. But then what do I know?
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

bwana

Post by bwana » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 am

i also have the same problem since Saturday. What are my options on bying a SSD (what capacity is available?) and is it really that easy to replace it myself?

jackwalth

Post by jackwalth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 am

Update on my situation: I have now replaced my HDD for an SDD as per the how-to guide. I used this SDD from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/KingSpec-1-8-in ... B009338ZK2 Bwana - yes it is quite easy to do, although reconnecting the zif cable to the new SDD is quite fiddly and took a couple of attempts!

However, on booting up the PMD, I still get the dreaded "sorry friend" message saying I need to restore, and unfortunately it doesn't successfully complete. Have tried the 4 button format method, but I come across the same issue. So annoying! Any ideas anyone?

bwana

Post by bwana » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:47 am

hello friends! I have installed the latest firmware (Feb 2014) - but the problem continues : after succesfully transferring about 7 GB of music, the message showed up again and the story goes on and on