Kill FX button - faulty?

Can't work out where to post? Post here in the general section then!
codayop

Kill FX button - faulty?

Post by codayop » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi I have recently been given a PMD for my 40th (yes us old people like mixing too!) I had a quick go of a friends a few years ago so my memory is a bit hazy (ok age doesn't always shine) and cant remember what the FX Kill button actually feels like.
The one sat next to me has no "click" to it. Seems to be pressed in slightly. Now this is a brand new device - straight out of box - Question is, should it be "clickable". I would kind of understand if not, because it (along with the slider) is going to be heavily used and I can see a designer making it soft.

Am I alone?
Cheers

codayop

Re: Kill FX button - faulty?

Post by codayop » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Right this is getting stupid now. I have no volume from the phones socket at all.
I have been mixing using the line out only as I was away from the house, the gift was a present I wasn't expecting so did not have my phones with me.
All my setting up and experimenting has been done through the line out - the first time I put my phones in - nothing.

Can anybody help - or does this sound terminal? The retailer my wife bought this off has said as its more than 28 days old (she bought it in advance of my birthday by 5 weeks) we have to take it to my nearest service centre. Of which there are none.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi Cohayop, welcome to the club!

Kill Switch - Yes both of my units have a definate click to them on the kill switch (button), and the menu/power button next to it.if this is a brand new unit then I probably would expect yours to click to. Even if it doesn't, it may still work..... play a track, add an effect, not the coloured circle at the top (showing you have an effect on), then press the kill to see if it goes dim (still on, but able to be instally turned back to as it was). Personally I don't really use the effect, so I wouldn't miss it much, depends how much of a trickster you are. Check this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=158

Headphones Volume - A few things could not not set right before you conclude the headphone channel isn't working.
- Press the menu button near to your kill button. Select Settings -> Audio -> Phones. The is a volume limit in there that set's the max headphones volume, this could always be turned right down. All try toggle the "range" setting, but this is more likely to give a boost, not make a difference between sound and no sound.
- When you are cueing, press & hold the p-switch (on the left side) down, then rotate your finger on the circular pad to turn the headphone volume up (to that pre-set max)? or down
- When you are mixing, hold down the same p-switch whilst moving the mix slider left/right. This adjusts the balance of the mix you hear in your headphones. If could be that yours is all one way, and listening only to the track playing out of line out and none of the track you are cueing. When I mix I use only my headphones and not a monitor speaker. I cue up using the new track in heapdhones only, then change the headphone mix so I can hear both tracks. Once playing and the two tracks are in sync, I set the headphone mix the same as the line-out mix, and fade both mixes over so I am hearing approcimately what the listeners are listening too. Very handy I find, and of course you can mix like this anytime (eg. on the train), with no need for using line out.

Hope you get it sussed.

Sox
Never experiment with drugs.... you might waste them

codayop

Post by codayop » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for replying Sox thats very comprehensive - but have tried everything you have said. I have had 2 days with this device and I have been through every menu and altered every setting - still no sound from Headphone socket.
The FX kill button works 99% of the time, its just awkward when you are feeling around for it (insert joke here) not being able to respond at the moment you'd like. Annoying.

My wife and I are currently arguing with the seller at the moment, trying to get him to take it back and either refund or provide a new device. I dont want to try and wipe anything or attempt to add new firmware as this may void my warranty.

If all ends well and they send me a new device I'll be back on here to celebrate with you, but its not looking good. I think my wife has just bought an "expensive paperweight" for my 40th.

hey ho.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:36 pm

If it really is a faulty headphone socket then the most likely cause is the socket itself, or where it is soldered onto the PCB. If it were mine and I got nowhere with the seller, I would take it apart and resolder/replace the connector - but then I've always been one for taking apart and trying to fix.

If it is a paperweight and you are UK based and willing to cover costs, I'd be willing to have a go

codayop

Post by codayop » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Cheers sox, i'd be tempted to have a go myself (as long its def not formware that could disrupt output)
I've fixed YLOD on PS3's before now, so not scared of this type of thing.
We have sent the device back to the Amazon company to see if they can fix or replace it. Worried that they will just say NO as I updated the firmware (14142) and just send it back.

Appreciate you offering to fix. It may come to that. We'll see. Watch this space.
(amd yes, in England)

codayop

Post by codayop » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Just got word. The Man is sending me a new Pacemaker!
Result!

codayop

Post by codayop » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:26 pm

New device received. Headphone output is minimal. You cant monitor at all. Sending back.

Sox
Admin Sox
Admin Sox

Post by Sox » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:02 pm

I can't believe you have a similar problem in two new units. Can you try any other headphones? Not trying to use any special surround sound headphones are you?

Is the fx button any better on the new unit?

codayop

Post by codayop » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:52 pm

kill fx button is fine, tried many pairs of headphones no joy.
Going to reset the device and put new firmware on see if that helps.